SCY308 : Kalokhorio Satas

Water mill, built 1757

Grid reference: 515280/3876470
Cadastral plan: XXIX.63

 
Water mill at Kalokhorio Satas (SCY308), in the gorge of the river Akaki.
Photograph: Michael Given

Plaque on water mill, dating it to 1757.
Photograph: Michael Given

The water mill at Kalokhorio Satas is one of six that lie within three kilometres of each other in the gorge of the Akaki river, in the village territories of Malounda and Kalokhorio. It is situated on the southeast bank of the river, within the large curve 2 km SW of Malounda. A now unused walking or mule track traverses down the steep bank from the SW, hairpins just above the mill, and passes immediately N of it to cross the river at a ford, continuing on up the northeastern side of the gorge. This presumably provided access to the mill, as well as a convenient crossing point that avoided the need to go north to the bridge at Malounda Tria Yephyria or south to the one at Kalokhorio Moutoyephyron. On the narrow river terrace in the inside of the bend, north of the mill, is a row of six old olive trees; on the bank just above them are the remains of the channel that brought water to the mill from upstream. This channel was plastered on the interior, and about 34 cm deep.

The mill itself is set into the steep bank, and is about 4.6 m high at the highest (east) side. It is of the hopper rather than shaft type. The front (east) face has four separate steps, of which the lowest has apparently been raised at some point after its initial construction. Several corners use white limestone ashlars cut with a toothed chisel. On the south side is a substantial buttress, some of it cornered with limestone ashlars, their insets carefully matching each other. Near the top of this, centrally placed, is a limestone plaque measuring 22 x 22 cm, with the data 1757 inscribed twice, a cross, and an inscription on ruled lines too damaged to be read. On the top the outline of the hopper receptacle is visible, though partly filled in and obscured with vegetation. The edges show a fair quantitiy of lichen. There are no traces of the mill room at the base, apart from a short stretch of retaining wall between the mill and the river. There is another longer retaining well extending southwards from the base of the buttress, some of it collapsed into piles of tumble.