Grid reference: 514200/3878300
This POSI consists of an abundant and apparently deep slag deposit in and adjacent to the cemetery of the old church of Panayia Khrysopandanassa in the eastern part of Agrokipia village. Telis Stavrou told us about it in 1995 at Agrokipia Kriadhis mine, and it was investigated by a POSI team on 11/6/96. A sketch map was drawn and a brief description written.
The cemetery lies immediately east of the church, and the slag spreads along the fence down its southern edge. It is also visible on the edge of the empty lot to the south of the cemetery, and on the river flood plain down the bank to the east of the cemetery. A refuse pile in the southeastern corner of the cemetery contains abundant slag and pottery; the pottery probably comes from the cemetery (jars being broken on graves etc), but some of it may be associated with the slag. No finds were collected. From memory, the slag is all of the tapped variety.
In the flat flood plain to the east, two short trenches about 1.5m deep had conveniently been dug by a back hoe. These show intact stratigraphy with slag fragments up to 40 cm deep. The flood plain was very overgrown, so apart from the two trenches very little could be seen.
The church itself is a much repaired 'ancient building', with the west door and a blocked window on the south surviving; it was restored in 1866. A very worn plaque on the belltower reads '...MANGLIS S...'. Outside the south gate is an ancient capital: its column diameter is 43 cm, its abacus diameter 59 cm, and its surviving height 46 cm; the mouldings consist of shaft, two tori, cavetto, torus, and abacus. The churchyard has some slightly older graves dating from the 1950s and 1960s; the rest are in the adjacent new cemetery with the slag.