Grid reference: 521500/3875775
Cadastral plan: XXX/57
Aerial photo: 1993, Run 175, No. 238
Survey units: 1746, 1750-51
The concentration of pottery and slag at Politiko Kafkalla was first located in June 1995 during regular transect (521.5) survey. This POSI, approximately 3 km north of Kambia mine and 1 km southwest of Politiko, consists mainly of a small, eroded chalk and limestone knoll near a larger chalk and limestone saddle to its west. Both the knoll and the saddle had very little topsoil remaining, and bedrock protruded clearly in several places. Located around the saddle were three modern, anthropogenic terraces constructed from limestone boulders. For collection purposes, the area was revisited in 1997 and a 2 m grid was imposed on the knoll, while the saddle was subdivided into units 10 x 25 m in size. Pottery, lithics and slag were found at both sites within the POSI, whilst the majority of the finds coming from area around the saddle.
A total of 477 sherds of pottery dating from the Archaic to Modern periods was collected. The majority of the diagnostic pottery proved to be Archaic and Classical in date, and was concentrated within Sub-Unit 205. There was no Hellenistic material, only one piece of Early Roman material (Eastern Sigillata B II), and three pieces of Late Roman material, including one piece of Phocaean Ware. There was also a sizeable amount of Medieval to Modern pottery discovered at the site. While several pieces of fine ware were discovered, the majority of the pottery was comprised of coarse wares.
Approximately 100 small slag fragments were discovered in a small scatter within Sub-Unit 205. These fragments include pieces identified as 'Phorades' type. The POSI also included a number of chalcedony fragments, 115 in number; we were unable to determine whether most of these fragments had been culturally modified. One distinct blade fragment was apparent.
Based upon the cultural material it would appear that human activity at this POSI stretched from the Archaic to Modern periods, with the most extensive activity coming in the Archaic-Classical and Ottoman-Modern periods. While there are no signs of habitation other than a few roof tiles, this may well have been the site of a small farm. The buildings were probably located on the small knoll while the saddle area was used for agricultural purposes. SCY011 most likely served as an agricultural support settlement either for the nearby mines or for the city of Tamassos, from the Archaic to the Late Roman period. It was re-established, perhaps as a farm, around the 13th-14th centuries AD.